Tuesday, April 10, 2012

On Tap: Hefeweizen

While this past week was a good one, filled with fun and adventure, it was not such a great week for beer.  I sampled a number of new brews, the majority of which ranged from just ok to down right nasty.  The worst of the worst was Troeg's Nugget Nectar.  The beer has a strange bite that is different from the usual hoppiness of beers and difficult to describe.  While the aftertaste isn't bad, the initial bite is just too much to endure to make it worth it.

Another loser for the week was Dogfish Head Tweason'ale.  This was my first experience with Dogfish Head, and while I'd heard good things, this was definitely underwhelming at best.  The label says it is infused with strawberry and honey flavors, which are definitely present, but seem to conflict with the malty flavor of the beer, not add to it.  Though I was slightly disappointed, I am definitely willing to give Dogfish Head a chance to redeem themselves, after all, they can't all be winners.

Rounding out the list of losers for the week is Corona Extra.  This is one of the more widely popular beers in the US and I can see why.  It has a mild flavor and is extremely carbonated; it kind of feels like you're drinking alcoholic soda (minus the sugar).  That being said, it just wasn't for me.  Perhaps it was because I was drinking mine sans lime, but the beer just seemed kind of bland and didn't really do anything for me.

The only winner of the week came while I was in Philadelphia.  While eating a delicious (albeit expensive) burger I also enjoyed Schlafly Brand's Hefeweizen Ale.  Hefeweizen is a German-style wheat beer that traces its origins back to the 16th century.  Wheat beers are by far my favorite type of beer and this one was fantastic.  It was light and smooth, with a very good bready-malt flavor.

Well, that's it for this week.  I have a brand new Wegman's six-pack waiting for me at home and this week is also the Scranton Brew Fest, so I should have plenty to write about in my next On Tap segment.  Until next week, stay thirsty my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Tweason'ale wasn't the best Dogfish Head beer to start with. It's gluten-free, so it isn't your average beer. Instead of barley, they used a sorghum base. As a huge fan of Dogfish, I don't even really care for that beer.

    If you go Dogfish, try the Indian Brown Ale, or one of their 60/90 Minute IPAs, which are classic. Midas Touch is one of my favorite beers EVER. At 9%, you have to be careful with it. And don't even start me with Immort Ale. And don't miss Aprihop! That's the seasonal special right now.

    ReplyDelete