Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oasis

Yesterday after work I got the urge to find a local used bookstore in hopes of finding some...well, books.  There are several poets whose works I have been reading online, however, as great as the interweb is, it is far from a comprehensive collection.  So after a quick Google search I found the Midtown Scholar Bookstore.  If there is a heaven, it will look (and smell) like this.



The store is located in a renovated 1920s theater in the midtown district of Harrisburg.  When you first walk in, it all just kind of hits you: the exposed ceiling, the balcony with wrought iron railing, the copious cozy nooks, and the smell, oh the smell of coffee and pastries and books!  The place is simply gorgeous and I could easily see myself spending hours here engrossed in a good book or doing some writing.  The Midtown Scholar Bookstore boasts a packed and ever-changing calendar of activities, from concerts to author talks to plays to poetry readings to book club meetings.  And on top of all the activities going on downstairs, upstairs there is a small art gallery where local artists come to show off their work and get feedback from the general public.  To someone like me, it all sounds so lovely.

In addition to my pictures above, this blog has quite a few nice pictures as well as a very good review.  If you’re in the area I highly recommend checking this place out.

No comments:

Post a Comment