Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On Tap: Elder Betty

Oh.  My.  God.  The elderberries taste like elderberries!  Ok, so maybe I should explain.  Rather than beat around the bush, I’ve decided to get right to this week’s big winner.  And when I say big, I mean BIG.  The beer I am about to describe is almost beyond description.  It was so delicious I could hardly put it down.  The beer I am referring to is Magic Hat Elder Betty, which is their summer seasonal beer.  And let me just say, they nailed it.  Much like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy makes me want to chill poolside, soaking up the warm summer sun, so too does Magic Hat Elder Betty evoke thoughts of summer.  I want to go sit in the grass, on a hill with this beer in my hand and just watch the clouds pass.

Elder Betty has a bready malt flavor that is bite-free and complimented nicely by just the right infusion of elderberry flavors.  A case of this beer would be both a blessing and a curse, because I’m sure I’d be drunk in a matter of hours.   If you have never tried this beer, you simply must.  And if you don’t like it, I don’t think we can be friends.   

As good as my recent Magic Hat experience was, it may have been made even better by the mediocre beer that preceded it: Long Trail Brewing Company’s Long Trail Ale.  This beer was just blah, totally uninspiring and forgettable.   It had moderate hoppiness and a flavor that, while robust, just wasn’t that good.  But it didn’t matter, Magic Hat came to the rescue and the night was saved.

As for the week ahead, I still have my Dogfish Head Tweason’ale waiting for me at home and I may venture out into humanity and sample another beer or two over the weekend.   The world is my oyster and I plan to shuck it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment