Friday, April 20, 2012

New Poem: Nostalgia

A couple nights ago I was sitting around just thinking and realized that sometimes I tend to think the potential nostalgia of a moment is more appealing than the moment itself.  This is probably a bad thing because I can tend to focus more on the way I'll remember the moment, rather than actually enjoying it when it's happening.  I also have a tendency to compare moments in my life that I have a great fondness for with the current state of things and this usually gets me into a depressed funk that's hard to shake.  Anyway, all that thinking inspired this poem.  Enjoy!


Nostalgia

At a diner with your closest friends.
It’s late, 2:30 AM after a night
Of binge drinking and pretending
You were someone else.

In a booth not unlike the backseat of my car,
The little waitress, old and patient
Dons a blue uniform and writes
My order like a prescription.

Outside the photo taxis are flashing by
In waves beneath the pitiful rain
That gathers in the waiting eyes
Of all those gazing skyward
Hoping to feel, time and again,
The unchanging lies.

Looking back into the bottom of my glass,
Empty now, I hover in thought,
Surrounded by synthetic light
That’s doused in darkness but does not
Expire and think how

The hum and flicker of a neon sign
Draws slowly, night after night
Good men, men drunk and sick with dreams
Into its sanguine glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment