Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tattoo

For a period of time in college I gave serious thought to getting a tattoo.  I even went as far as brainstorming ideas for what I might get and looking into tattoo parlors and prices.  Now me being who I am, a somewhat impulsive flake, led me to eventually drop the idea.  However, recently I’ve renewed my interest in getting some ink and have been thinking about what I might get.
First, a couple of caveats: 1) If I do get a tattoo it would be somewhere easily concealable (i.e. no face tattoos for this guy).  I work in a professional setting and I can’t really afford to be all tatted up.  2) I don’t want a ton of tattoos.  If I get one, it will be just that, ONE.  3) The size of the tattoo is also a concern for me.  My sister-in-law has a gigantic lower back tattoo (tramp stamp) that looks absolutely hideous; I definitely don’t want it to be too big.
Now, on to some of my ideas for possible tattoos. 
This is part of some album artwork from one of my all-time favorite bands, The Shins.  I really like the feelings it invokes in me and I could see altering it slightly to make it more personal.  If you notice, the bands’ name is on the front of the ship; I could potentially replace it with a date, name, or word that has some special meaning to me.
                                    
This idea I got just recently after watching Blue Valentine.  I noticed that the lead actor, Ryan Gosling, has a tattoo of the cover of the Shel Silverstein book, The Giving Tree.  Shel Silverstein is my favorite children’s author and I think this book tells a very beautiful story about love.
                            
Finally, we have a tattoo straight out of the creative recesses of my mind.  I came up with this back when I first was exploring the idea of getting a tattoo and I can honestly say that I still like it.
Not sure which one, if any of them, I'll pick.  I figure I shouldn't rush into this and I'll likely give it a couple weeks, but I do think this is something I could see myself doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment