Monday, January 16, 2012

Beer

Is it just me or does every guy BUT me drink beer? Every one of my male friends from college drank beer (and not just to get hammered).  All the guys I work with drink beer.  My father – and brother-in-law drink beer; both of them have even tried brewing it!  My dad use to drink beer, before his doctor told him he couldn’t anymore.  Even my little sister drinks beer; she called on Sunday to tell me that she bought a case for her and her friends to drink during the football games.  This is just sad.  My little sister, THE LESBIAN, is more of a man than me.
All jokes aside, this is something I would like to remedy.  Now I’m not saying I want to start drinking beer just because everyone else is drinking beer.  There are a number of other reasons why I want to broaden my pallet to include the occasional brewsky. 

Alcohol is a great social lubricant, especially for someone like me who can be kind of shy when meeting new people.  It would be nice to be in a social setting and instead of going straight for the liquor (or my iPod), just kicking back and enjoying a beer.  Also, since so many people drink beer, discussing it is a great conversation starter.
A beer just seems like a great way to unwind after a long day.  I’ve also heard that different beers go well with different foods.  It might be neat to experiment with different kinds of beers with my meal.
Now I’ve tried beer before and while I don’t hate it, I didn’t really care for what I tasted.  I’m not sure if that was more due to the beer I was drinking or what, but I can’t imagine that with all the different beers out there I couldn’t find one I liked.  It’s a fact that if you eat/drink something long enough your taste buds will conform to the new taste and you will eventually enjoy it.  The problem is I’m not even sure where to start.  With so many different beers to choose from, where should a novice like me begin?

1 comment:

  1. I'm still a newbie when it comes to fancy brews, but my dad and my sister's boyfriend (who is basically my brother) are really into it, so that's how I started. I'm not quiet sure what kind of beers you've had. If you've only done Miller or Coors Lite (or any "Lite") or Yuengling Lager, it's easy to see why it maybe didn't fully enjoy it. Sure, they are a great go-to, but there's nothing going on there. If you want to try something different, you should check out different brews by Dogfish Head. Unless you enjoy the bitter taste of hops, I would stay away from IPAs (Dogfish has quite a few of those), though 60-minute IPA is the most common and is maybe worth a shot to see if it works for you. They have a lot of great beers in general though, that like to mix different flavors you wouldn't normal find in your average beer (things like honey, black tea, and various fruits). I really love Woodchuck cider. It's not necessarily a beer and it has a smaller alcohol content typically, but it is super tasty! If you like apple cider, you must try it. Also fun, is trying the seasonal brews. Winter Warmers are big right now (and pretty much every brewing co has them at the moment), but beware...they are heavy and the alcohol content is around 7% and really sneaks up on you. Basically, don't be afraid to try everything! That's how I learn. A great beer will tell you what's inside, what kind of flavors they are incorporating. Oh, and if all else fails, I enjoy a nice Blue Moon, which is a wheat beer...cloudy with citrus tastes and usually garnished with an orange. YUMMO.

    ReplyDelete