Friday, January 13, 2012

Poem: Early Morning Scene

This poem was originally inspired by a dream I had after listening to a song by Sufjan Stevens.

Early Morning Scene

The heat rising from the ancient vent
Sends ripples through the watery air,
And sitting still and quiet one can hear
The low monotone of drowned voices
Rising from the depths of the dungeon
Of dirt and insects beneath the housing skirt;
The long nostalgic moans of previous occupants,
The unfinished breaths that come
In the winter months of this old house
To lament and mock the end
Of long-extinguished fires.

The vaporless heat wraps the curtain
Like a drapery about the shoulders of my youngest son
Who stands barefoot over the metal grate
Reaching for the lofty window sill
With his little fingers to pull his chin above
And get a look out at the crust of newly fallen snow.

Sullen and stern for several minutes,
I watch and turn, kicking off my slippers,
And approach the window where my son had stood.
My toes half sunken in the metal grate
As I look out upon the empty lot adjacent to my own
And think I hear my son
Groaning to be let outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment