Friday, January 13, 2012

Bad Habits

So this may come as a shock, but I am actually human.  And being human I have several bad habits that I wish I could break.  Most of these I’ve had for a long time and have tried kicking them in the past, only to fall right back into them.
·         Nail Biting.  For as long as I can remember, whenever I get nervous or anxious I tend to bite my nails.  Not sure how this became my coping mechanism, but no matter what I do I always seem to revert to it when the chips are down.
·         Epic Procrastination.  I know we all tend to do this from time to time, but I can sometimes take it to another level.  Often I’ll put things off for long periods of time, even when I know I should do them for fear of forgetting (see below).  Most of the time the things I put off are those that I don’t want to do.  Examples include: doing the dishes, paying bills, cleaning, work (I’m doing this right now), and making decisions.
·         Fast Food.  I eat out…a lot.  And when I do, I usually don’t hold back.  My favorite food of all time and forever is pepperoni pizza.  I would literally wear a suit of it if I didn’t think I’d be naked within an hour.  I know it’s not healthy and that I’m likely hastening my way to the grave, but I just can’t seem to stop.  It’s a wonder I don’t weigh 500 lbs.
·         Memory.  Ok, so at first blush this might not sound like a habit per se, but allow me to explain.  I have what can only be described as juvenile Alzheimer’s mixed with ADHD.  I forget everything.  I forget things two minutes after they are told to me.  I forget names, dates, directions to places I’ve been countless times, my keys; and part of it is my fault.  You see I have this nasty tendency to zone out when I think a conversation isn’t overtly important a condition I like to call, “Hey-look-a-squirrel-syndrome”.
There you have it; those are the bad habits that I wish I could kick.  Maybe writing them down and focusing on them will help me to curb how often I do them.  If the past is any indication, however, it won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment