Thursday, May 10, 2012

Trailers: Moonrise Kingdom

Welcome to the first of a new segment I’m calling, Trailers, in which I’ll discuss some of my most highly anticipated movie releases.  Despite the expensive food and the crowds, I’ve always loved going to the movies, especially during the summertime.  Nothing beats an air-conditioned movie theater on a hot summer day.


Moonrise Kingdom – May 25, 2012: Ever since I saw the trailer for this I have been counting the days.  It is directed by Wes Anderson, who also directed one of my favorite movies of all time, The Royal Tenenbaums.  Although the storylines are unique, a lot of his movies tend to have the same feel to them, which can be an acquired taste.  Set on an island off the coast of New England in the 1960s, the movie centers around a young boy and girl who fall in love and are moved to run away together.  Various factions of the town mobilize to search for them and the town is turned upside down.  The movie boasts an all-star cast including Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Jason Schwartzman to name a few.


On the Road – May 25, 2012 (tentative): This film is set to debut at the Cannes Film Festival and is based on the novel of the same title by Jack Kerouac.  Having read and enjoyed the book, I was instantly drawn to this movie.  The film follows an aspiring writer and his friends on a fast-paced, cross-country adventure, something I have the secret desire to do myself.  As is the case with most book-to-movie adaptations, my only concern is how they are going to fit it all into one movie.


The Dark Knight Rises – July 20, 2012:  I have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for superhero flicks.  I guess I’m a bit of a dork in that way.  I loved the first two movies in this series (Heath Ledger’s final performance as the Joker was Oscar-worthy) and the third installment looks like the epic conclusion I was hoping for.  The film is set eight years after the Dark Knight Returns.  A new terrorist leader, Bane, has overwhelmed Gotham’s men-in-blue, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment