Tuesday, May 1, 2012

HIMYM

As with most things, when it comes to television, I can be kind of picky with what I watch.  I can't just watch garbage TV to pass the time; I hate reality television, all singing competitions, and most crime dramas.  When I find a show I really like, I savor every last bit of it.  I watch every new episode religiously, I watch and re-watch old episodes when I'm feeling bored or sad or sick, and I quote the characters nonstop.  It's a disease really, and I have no interest in a cure.

Today, while goofing around on the internet, I stumbled across Entertainment Weekly's Death Watch, which lists the major network's shows and which ones appear destined to be cancelled.  While looking over the list I noticed that one of my favorite new shows, Whitney, is suffering from lackluster ratings and is in danger of being discontinued.  As sad as this made me, it got me thinking about some of the other shows I enjoy.  For the last seven years one of my favorite shows has been CBS' How I Met Your Mother.


If you've never seen it then I don't know what you've been doing with your life.  I love the show for so many reasons.  It is filled with great one-liners, memorable nicknames (Swarley, Big Fudge, Teddy Westside, etc.), hilarious actors, and good music.  It can do it all; it can make me laugh, cry, you name it.  If it is an emotion, I've probably felt it while watching this show.  I don't know if the EW article is necessarily to blame or the recent episodes, but it is just now hitting me that it's all coming to an end, that in just a short time the story that I have enjoyed for so long (since my college days!) will be over.  I know that nothing will stop me from feeling sad that it's over, I just hope that when it does end I am left feeling satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment