Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kickin' it Old School

Last night I decided to compile a playlist of my favorite songs from the 80's, 90's, and early 00's.  Not sure what possessed me to do this, maybe I'm just missing my youth.  These songs bring back so many fond memories.  One in particular comes to mind.  The year was 1994 (or 95, not really sure).  I was in group therapy with my sisters and a bunch of other "troublesome youth".  Side-note, as children, my sisters and I had an issue with profanity.  When the group leaders took everyone outside for group activities I stayed behind and went rooting through another kid's book bag (apparently I also had an issue with others personal property).  I'm not sure what I was expecting to find or why I was doing it, but I did it nonetheless.  What I found was a cassette player with an unmarked cassette in it.  I threw the headphones on, hit play and heard Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time.  And thus began my love affair with music.


Anyway, here is my playlist so far.  If you think of any good songs to add feel free to leave a comment!

Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Cake - Love You Madly
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Bad Reputation
Radiohead - Creep
Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Hole - Doll Parts
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
Built to Spill - Else
Coldplay - Yellow
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
Blink 182 - The Rock Show
The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
Beck - Loser
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Blind Mellon - No Rain
Blur - Song 2
Queen - Under Pressure
Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn

2 comments:

  1. Ever since I saw "It's Kind of a Funny Story," the song Under Pressure makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way with Maxence Cyrin's cover of Where's My Mind. I'm usually in my car when I listen to it and one of these days I'm going to get into an accident. My obituary will read, "He died crying in his car on the way home from work."

      Delete