Wednesday, May 23, 2012

On Tap: Bananarama

Welcome to another edition of On Tap!  Today, I thought I'd start out by sharing some famous quotes about that magical elixir we all love, beer.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
-Dean Martin

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Okay, okay enough of that, on to this week's winners and losers.  The first loser of the week was Southern Tier Brewing Company's Pale Wheat Ale.  It's not that this beer was all that bad, it just wasn't all that good either. Their website says it has hints of citrus and a "grassy" flavor.  I couldn't really find the citrus, but I definitely tasted the grassy flavor; it had a slight bitterness that I didn't care for.



The next beer of the week was Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly.  I had been trying for weeks to get my hands on this beer and last week I finally did.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to declare this beer a winner yet, but it definitely grew on me with every sip.  I would describe it as the champagne of beers.  It was extremely bubbly and tasted very much like champagne, though at only 5% ABV, this one won't have you making stupid decisions quite so quickly.

The final beer of the week, and the only clear winner, was Wells Banana Bread Beer.  When I read the label I knew I had to try it, it just sounded so interesting!  Let me preface my opinion by saying that I don't ordinarily care for banana flavored things, I feel they can be a bit sickening.  That was not the case with this beer.  It tasted like a slightly under-ripe banana.  It was clean and crisp and not at all heavy (if that makes any sense).  This is definitely one I'd have again, if I can find it.


Well, that's all for this week.  Stay thirsty my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment