Thursday, July 5, 2012

Born on the 4th of July

I still have all my fingers!  Independence Day went off without a hitch and reminded me a lot of some memorable 4ths as a kid.  One year in particular, I got the brilliant idea to buy a bunch of little fireworks and combine them into one giant firework.  I set it off in the alley behind my old house and it was awesome!  A shower of sparks shot a good 6 feet into the air and made for quite a display.  This year I decided to try and recreate the magic - never mind the inherent danger this endeavor posed.  Side-note: I may be a pyromaniac.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of fireworks from Wal-Mart called Crackling Salutes.  You gotta love Wal-Mart, you can buy a blender with six speeds, do all your grocery shopping, AND purchase the ingredients to maim and disfigure yourself.  I combined my entire purchase, about 60 fireworks total, in a container I fashioned from cardboard and packing tape.  Even up until I lit the fuse I had no idea what was going to happen, but I had flashbacks of that time in the alley behind my house, when things were simple, and all the moments of my life, everything seemed to condense and burn before my eyes in one great instantaneous collage of sparks and light.

Below is a picture of my creation and a video of the event.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment