Monday, July 30, 2012

Becoming Bane

This past weekend I finally saw the Dark Knight Rises!  And it...was...EPIC!  But that's not what this post is about.  This post is about something that I've been neglecting for seven months now: going to the gym.  You may be asking yourself, "Wait, what does Batman have to do with exercise?"  The answer is, nothing really.  It's just that in seeing how committed the actor playing the part of Bane must have been (Tom Hardy did some serious bulking up for the role) got me thinking about how lazy I've been.  I stopped going to the gym at the end of December and just kind of fell out of the habit.  I haven't worked out a day since, that is, up until Sunday.

On Sunday I decided it was time to get back in the swing of things.  I not only made my first trip back to the gym, but I also made a significant purchase that will go a long way in ensuring that I keep up the exercise.


I purchased this Marcy Standard Width Bench from Dick's Sporting Goods.  Now as you can imagine, this little guy wasn't exactly cheap, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe because I spent so much on it I'll actually have to use it so that I don't feel like I wasted my money.  

This seems like a good step towards getting back into shape.  In college I was in pretty good physical condition and I miss the way that feels.  Sunday was certainly a swift kick in the nards.  The amount of weight I can lift has decreased dramatically, I got winded after just my second lap in the pool, and today I'm feeling a bit sore.  It's all a little discouraging.  But I won't give up.  This is only the beginning.  It will get easier with time.  Hopefully with my new purchase and a little resolve I'll be able to actually look the part of the beefed-up super villain Bane...or, ya know, maybe a little less puny.  

1 comment: