Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New Poem: Thoughts

In 1997, my house burnt down and while it was being rebuilt, my father's insurance company rented a house for us in which to stay.  This poem was inspired by a memory of that time.


Thoughts

Many a vague, elusive roach I’ve often felt
Move unseen beneath the burners of the stove,
Scuttle clockwise down the kitchen sink
Over the places it had loosely dwelt,
Back to some damp, unreachable alcove.
And in so feeling, I would often think
Of how, being nearly at the end of wit
And tired of the quiet company I kept,
One night, resolved quite hastily to wrap
A two-by-four in duct tape and lay it
Purposely by my bedside as I slept.
The next morning I found alive, my trap
Teeming with the pulse of legs that once could
Creep from some dark crevice of cabinet wood
And, ingeniously I took with little skill,
The living board out back and beat it still.

No comments:

Post a Comment