Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Poem: Seizure

This poem was inspired by an incident involving my half-sister Alexandra.  She suffers from a disease called neurofibromatosis.  At the time, I was between ten and twelve years old.  Apologies for the depressing subject matter.


Seizure
                For A. R.

Your eyes looked at me
As if trapped within a jar,
Suspended in solution.
You choked on air
And writhed, half-naked
On the toilet,
A young woman
Well past puberty,
Stripped so mercilessly
Of simple dignity.
I folded your hands
And held you still,
Waiting for the shock to end.
In between the tremors
I remembered what once I read,
God does not leave us
Comfortless.
And true it is,
He blessed you with
A gentle heart,
Destined never to be broken
And a forgetful brain,
Forever 6-years-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment