Monday, March 5, 2012

Destiny

Destiny, a predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control.  Do you believe in it?  Do you believe that when we are born, our lives begin down a set path and that all of our choices are predetermined?  Personally, I don’t, but I’ve been thinking a lot about destiny lately.

Now, although I’ve said before that I don’t necessarily believe in God, that’s not to say that I don’t believe that things happen for a reason.  Everything happens for a reason; whether or not you believe that reason to be God’s plan is your own prerogative.  I personally believe that people are the makers of their own destiny.

My little sister once likened her life to a train on a track.  She said that she believed that as you go through life there are signs along the way to help guide you in the right direction or help you switch tracks if necessary.  You can choose to pay attention to the signs or you can choose to ignore them and each time you do, your destiny will be altered by those choices.

I have a nasty habit of living in the past (and sometimes trying to relive it).  I often think about the choices I’ve made in my life that have brought me to this point.  I think about other choices I could have made and what my life might be like had I made them.  I think about the signs I’ve ignored.  I think about the signs I’ve followed and whether or not they were actually signs at all.  It is certainly a maddening endeavor, thinking about the past, but sometimes one can’t help but look back and wonder if the choices they’ve made were the right ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment